With great sadness, the Committee of Management formally advises that Mahogany Neighbourhood Centre Inc. will cease operation on 19 December 2014 and be wound up as a Members Voluntary Liquidation.
We take this opportunity to sincerely thank you for your support of Mahogany Neighbourhood Centre.
For 31 years Mahogany Neighbourhood Centre (formerly Pines Neighbourhood House) has provided the local community with quality, affordable and accessible programs and activities and informed, supported and empowered thousands of people, creating change and growth for the Frankston North community.
With no consultation with the Centre Management or Committee, Frankston City Council has formally given notice of its intention to resume control of the Mahogany Neighbourhood Centre effective Monday 11th August 2015.
Council claim that it proposes to use the Centre to deliver educational and health programs to meet community needs and improve community health and wellbeing under a different delivery model. Mahogany Neighbourhood Centre has a long, proven history of working in partnership with other organizations, including Council, to meet community needs.
There is a strong need to keep Mahogany Neighbourhood Centre operating under the Neighbourhood House model in Frankston North to:
- enhance the social and physical well being of the local community by working with local residents to promote and develop their ability to be self-determining and self-reliant;
- work in partnership with the local community to reduce social isolation, encourage social engagement and promote a sense of belonging and community spirit;
- provide the community with opportunities to participate in life-long learning, social and recreational programs and activities which are responsive to the local community and that aim to be accessible to all, both financially and culturally.
We want Frankston City Council to review their decision, renew the Licence Agreement and continue to support the Centre operating under the Neighbourhood House model.
For further information please contact Mahogany Neighbourhood Centre on 9786 1445 or Committee of Management President, Toni Burton, on 0408 502 098
Mahogany Neighbourhood Centre is a dynamic community based organisation working with the local community to increase community participation and social inclusion. The Centre provides:
- a range of social, educational and recreational programs in response to the changing needs of the Frankston North community
- a welcoming supportive environment
- friendly, understanding and caring staff
- opportunities to develop existing skills or learn new skills
- opportunities for volunteer participation
- a meeting place for the community
- something for everyone!
Please complete this short survey to help us determine the needs and wants of our community, particularly in relation to the programs, activities and classes that Mahogany Neighbourhood Centre offers, or may be able to offer in the future.
Mahogany Neighbourhood Centre is proud to be working in partnership with the
Rotary Club of Frankston North
- Community Technology Transfer Project
- Community Raffle 2014